Sunday, June 8, 2008

refusing to give up hope

Today I, a daughter of an Allied soldier, met with a friend, the daughter of a German soldier, to plan our peace work for next year, the 65th anniversary of the the end of the Battle of Cassino.

We work with veteran soldiers and youth, to commemorate and reconcile, to remember and to educate. We bring together the soldiers and the civilians. It is a small thing, perhaps, but surely it is worth doing?

Our blog may seem a small thing, but surely it is worth doing too?

Many people read, but do not write. That is the way of the world. We don't know if we have planted a small seed somewhere, and will not be able to watch that seed grow. But we must have hope,and peace and hope are not empty words to me.

2 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

Kay, in this post and the last you talk not just about peace and collaboration but also about communication. That is so interesting and of course as you hint, people talk often "to themselves" about such issues but find it hard to talk to each other about them. With a colleague I work in Ethiopia from time to time, encouraging project managers to share their beliefs, their constructs about working with the poor people in their communities and it is something which the world over we all find very hard to do. I wish you luck and I am sure you will sow seeds in many minds for what is surely one of the most important causes of today's world.

Kay said...

Tonight I opened this to write a new post and found Sheila's comment. Sheila, my apologies for not noticing it sooner.

It is a year (less 2 days) since I last posted. In this time I have bcome an addicted "blogger". My personal blog meanders all over the place, but I don't think that it matters too much. What does matter as that it keeps going, so those who do read it are not disappointed by finding nothing new when they check it. Why is this important to me? Because in some small way we are communicating, often from the opposite side of the world.

Communication must surely be the single most important element of any peace work.

It doesn't have to be verbal or written communication. A smile, a touch, an email, a blog entry. All bring people together, make the world a smaller place.

Facebook, and now Twitter. Often entries are (in my opinion) time-wasting and superficial. But who knows what positive connections are being formed, what communication is taking place "between the lines"?

I challenge all who want communication for peace to spend ten minutes or more every day simply writing a positive comment on a blog somewhere out there in cyberspace.

Remember the cut-out paper dolls with linked hands? Let's stretch out for some positive linking, world-wide.