Monday, April 7, 2008

A blog, the sea and a spoon


Every morning I am in trouble: what will I speak about today, before my five readers? Will I tell about the violated and mutilated children in Darfur or about the war that is about to begin again in the Western Sahara? Of the rights denied to Madhesi of Nepal or of the ancient persecution of Catholic Vietnamese? The bloody repression of dissent along the beaches of the Maldives or Maya peasants 15 years of attempting to self-govern?
What is the sense of screaming against one injustice and being forced to stay silent about a thousand others? Turn off the unnecessary and unjust light in my room when billions of lights are lit unfairly?

What sense is it, I wonder every day, trying to empty the sea with an insignificant spoon?
I wonder, what really is a culture of peace?

Every morning, alone in front of the screen, I give myself two answers.
Culture of Peace is primarily education! Educating yourself every day to behaviours which are sustainable for all the billions of people on the planet. Doing so, without extremism and without excuse, as far as is possible in the society we live in.
The second response I was thinking about yesterday, during a meeting of active citizens: culture of peace is witness! Saying no, every day, to the waste of water and the death penalty. Claiming your daily personal disapproval of all that is unacceptable to your conscience. Feeding your conscience with knowledge and action. With your words and your actions, witnessing that another world is possible.
This is the meaning of this work, cultivating my culture of peace as if it were a delicate plant: water and love every day.

So, in all honesty, it is not important how many injustices I can not speak about. This little blog, for myself and for those who desire to be with it, is still a small, beautiful, effective vehicle of a culture of peace.

Bruno Picozzi (in translation)

1 comment:

Micha said...

Keep up with the good work bro!

I liked the came stories by the way :)